- Finish HS Mini-Prez
- Intro to Multimodal Ethnography
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Friday, January 27, 2017
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
- What are the differences between experimentation and prediction in the Natural and Human Sciences?
- How do assumptions affect interpretation?
- Discussion: Jared Diamond, "Why Soft Sciences are often Harder than Hard Sciences"
- Activity: Operationalizing Concepts in a Wolf Pack
- Friday: Guest Speaker, Sociologist Dr. Neema Noori
TOKIRL Due Sunday!!
- Tuesday: Finish Mini-Prez (Sociology, Geography), Intro to the TOK Presentation
- Thursday: Core Thursday: Write Supervisor Email, begin research, complete CAS
- Monday: TOK Presentation Workday
Monday, January 23, 2017
Aims & Objectives:
- make connections between a critical approach to the construction of knowledge, the academic disciplines and the wider world
- develop an awareness of how individuals and communities construct knowledge and how this is critically examined
- understand the roles played by ways of knowing in the construction of shared and personal knowledge
- How is knowledge constructed and organized in the Human Sciences?
Human Sciences Mini-Prez's:
- Finish reading/annotating "Soft Sciences" article.
Thursday, January 19, 2017
- Get out your Topic Development so that I can see it and we can talk about it.
- Make a list
- Dream Supervisor (anyone in the school)
- Top Three (from my list of available)
- Once you have a supervisor:
- Email them to formally request their assistance
- Include: request, subject area/topic plans, preliminary ideas, request for meeting, 3 possible dates.
- CC to me as well!
- Meet to talk: Reflect in RRS
- Formal Research Proposal
As we watch Minority Report, consider the following questions that the film seems to raise:
- What is the relationship between free will and determinism? How is this relationship explored through the areas of knowledge? Consider:
- Maths: What does it mean that the Precogs are "pattern recognition filters?" Relate this to your understanding of algorithms and machine learning.
- Human Sciences: How are the predictions of the Precogs linked to an idea of human behavior as "socially constructed?
- Natural Sciences: What does the ability or inability to "change the future" suggest about the nature of the physical universe? Compare this to your understanding of a deterministic "billiard ball" universe as described by Newtonian physics.
- Ethics: What are the ethical implications of the assumption that the future is knowable? What does it mean for a discovery of meaning in life?
- What are the implications of the films treatment of the connections between Capitalist materialism and a surveillance society?
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Friday, January 13, 2017
Finalize Extended Essay
- Final Edits
- Double Check References
- Cover Page Information
- Student Code
- Word Studies Area
- Supervisor name
Submit Final EE to TurnItIn no later than Monday at 11:59 pm
Thursday, January 12, 2017
- Meet with Mrs. Lawler for CAS Update.
- Check on Progress with CAS Activities, Project Ideas, etc.
- CAS Opportunities within the IB
- IB Scrapbook
- IB ambassador
- Help each other with projects
Extended Essay - Next Steps
- Complete Topic Development & Rationale (Due next Thursday)
- Explore more than one subject area and topic EVEN IF you think you already know what you want to write about.
- Feel free to do this activity "in your own way" in your RRS, but be sure you address all aspects of rationale.
- Read your Subject Area section of the Extended Essay Guide. Come to next Core Thursday with questions/curiosities/ideas.
Tim Brinkhof, 2016 IB Graduate and NYU Student
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- Freshman Presentations: Reflection
- Human Sciences Miniprez
- Choose a Human Science
- Explore the Human Science through each section of the Knowledge Framework
- Create an Infographic, Prezi, Slides, Emaze, etc., that effectively treats the subject matter.
- Thursday: CAS, EE
- Monday: Present Mini-Prez, Explore language/concepts Intro to the TOK Pres.
- Diamond, "Soft Sciences"
- Wolfpack Activity
- Guest Speaker:
- Inside Out