- If my language is a map, what lies beyond its borders?
- Where do words get their meanings?
Discuss "Metaphors We Live By". Consider these guiding questions:
- How do our concepts shape our behavior?
- What are the implications of the metaphors by which we navigate the world?
- Where can they get us into trouble?
- How can understanding them empower us to make changes in the world?
- Can you think outside these metaphors? What does the world look like out there?
Radiolab: Translation, Part 1, "100 Flowers"
When Douglas Hofstadter was 16, he read a poem. Just an innocent little poem, a few short lines, nothing special. But the poem burrowed deep into his brain, and many years later, he set out to translate the thing and landed in a world of ham and jam and endless partial views of a person lost to time.
Final Unit Blog:
Invisibilia is an NPR podcast that explores "The Invisible Forces that Shape our World." Their 3rd Season is a "Concept Album"--a series of episodes about the way that our concepts shape the way we operate in the world.
Over Thanksgiving, take time to listen to ONE of the following episodes. Then, in a well organized Blog (400-800 words), reflect on the insights and examples that the episode explores. Be sure that your blog
- Provides a brief objective summary
- Highlights important ideas presented by the hosts and featured experts of the podcast
- Connects these ideas to personal experiences
- Identifies and explores compelling questions raised by the episode