After viewing the film, we will discuss the questions below. After the discussion, please write a well-organized reflective blog post in which you consider the ways that the film relates to TOK.
Mind-Body (Cartesian) Dualism
Watch this short video about Rene Descartes:
Now consider: Phil seems to be repeating the same day over and over again, but while his mind and memory remain intact from day-to-same-day, everything else in the universe (including his body and presumably his brain cells) seems to reset.
- How does this film relate to the dualism posited by Descartes?
- To what extent do you go through your life understanding "yourself" (or your "self") to be somehow separate from your physical form?
- How is it that I can so easily say that I "will always be myself" when I know that every second I am actually physically changing?
- How can I reconcile this "unified" view of "myself" with my memory of myself as a small child?
- Give examples of moments/situations where you act in a dualistic mode and/or a non-dualistic mode.